10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At Integrity Automotive Service in Monona
Oil Change and 27 Point Check: I showed up early, they got me in early. Free Wi-Fi for customers so I could work while I waited. They did a 27 point check and topped off what was included in the oil change without trying to "up-sell" me anything. They did take note of several things that could be improved and emailed me a custom quote. Friendly, fair, honest service in the automotive world. Rare find.
Very friendly service personnel. I had purchased a groupon for an air conditioning service. I arrived early and they got my vehicle in right away. Turned out that I had more problems than just needing refrigerant. Everything that was done was explained to me satisfactorily as well as the diagnosis of what further problems I had in my A/C system.I set up another appointment to address those issues.
It was great I was running a late. I had just got done with work they were super nice and still got my car right in. I thought it was cool to watch the oil change be done on my car. I am by no means a car savvy person I know where my gas goes in and where to put windshield washer fluid so I am always a little worried that I might get take an advantage of. But that was 100% not the case here. I was told a couple of things that could use some attention but I was not made to feel like if I didn't get my tires rotated right now my car would break before I got home. I will definitely take the drive across town for service work to be done here. All thanks to Groupon.